6.02.2012

Confessions of a Non-Baker....and Paleo Pancakes




I...am not a baker. I can bake a few (non-paleo) things very well - I have "famous" chocolate chip cookies, for instance. But I've been working from the same recipe since I was 10, and for someone who hates stagnation and doing the same thing more than once....it's not a practice I usually follow. 

Baking requires patience. Perfection. Balance. Chemistry. Exact numbers and temperatures and times. This can be a beautiful thing and I admire all who can pop out a souffle or a Baked Alaska. Alas, I am not one of them.

I am a cook. Spontaneous. Heat of the moment. Passion and Emotion. There are no mistakes - nothing a little more liquid or a longer cooking time can't fix. I love that I can forage for Paleo things at my mom's house - and whip up something like frozen shrimp with frozen green beans, frozen basil, and powdered garlic in canned coconut milk. And it is unreasonably delicious.

That said - I have been craving, and I mean CRAVING pancakes.  I don't like to bake. I don't like to make paleo versions of non-paleo foods. But since my skin breaks out in a rash at the mere mention of Denny's...going out for a fat stack of pancakes just isn't an option.


So here is my attempt at Paleo Pancakes. Wish me Luck.
*Sourced with modifications from http://paleopancakes.co/paleo-pancakes-fluffy-coconut-flour-pancakes 

Ingredients:
4 eggs, room temperature, separated.  (I use Omega-3 eggs, and the closest to pastured I can afford)
1 & 1/4 cup coconut milk, full fat of course. (Of note - "light" is just mixed with water, always buy the full fat kind and water it down if you want to save $$$!)
2 tsp vanilla extract (or you could infuse coconut milk with 1/2 a vanilla bean)
2 tbsp honey
3/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Cooking fat - coconut oil is easy, but ghee (clarified butter) would be delicious
Maple syrup and fruit for toppings!


Separate the eggs. Whip the whites until they form peaks. In a separate bowl - beat the yolks until smooth and blend in the coconut milk, vanilla, and honey. 


In a third bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. 
Add the wet to the dry, mix gently until no lumps, then fold in the whites until well blended. 
My Papa always told me the secret to fluffy things is to mix thoroughly - but not too hard and don't take your time about it. A light, quick hand does the trick!
While your batter is setting up:
Get your pan or griddle nice and hot - about medium high, or 6-7. 






Let the batter set for 5-10 minutes - this is important to let the baking powder do its job!
Grease your skillet well. 
Ladle the batter in small amounts - for ~ 3" diameter 'cakes. Big pancakes won't firm up with this batter.
Wait to flip until the edges look dry and are lifting up from the pan. 
Flip, let them cook another few minutes so they are done. 
Viola! 



And the verdict is....DELICIOUS!


3 comments:

  1. These look delicious and easier than other pancake recipes I've tried before. Just one question before I try to make them, do you buy the coconut milk in a can or in a carton? And if it's the canned kind do you mix it all together or just use the cream off the top? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feast of Gaea5/31/13, 1:04 PM

    I only buy Thai kitchen original and shake the can well :) other brands have been too watery. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first time making paleo pancakes. I found them to be quite dry. My kids thought they tasted a bit like French toast but they didn't like them. The adults thought they were just ok. Not sure i would make these again.

    ReplyDelete